Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Birthday, Stress, and Food Poisoning

Hey Ya'll!!  I know it's been a while.  I promise I haven't forgotten about sharing my life with you, it's just been a bit busy lately.

Okay, so the last post was about the balloons... let me think what has happened since then....

My Birthday - The Day Before
Well, I celebrated my birthday recently (May 28).

It was pretty great.  So on May 27 (a Friday), I was presented a few gift in the morning.  One of my students made me triangle kimbop (it was still warm!), and one of the Chinese teachers gave me a gift.  My students told me Happy Birthday of course too!

During 3rd period, we had a "yearbook" party, where are yearbooks were presented to each other and we spent some time writing in each other's yearbooks.

I don't know about you, but when I was in school (especially Middle and High School) I don't think I ever had a desire to have my teachers sign my yearbook... not the case where I work.
**This is not to say that I didn't like my teachers or didn't respect them or didn't want any wisdom/advice for my life.  I think it is more just that the teacher/student relationship is a little different than here.  I feel like the teacher/student interaction here maybe similar to what it was in America during the one room school house days, (I'm picturing Christy right now) where the teacher was revered, but also was very much involved in the immediate community where the kids lived.

As soon as I came into the room (I was a tad late to the "party) I instantly had students' yearbooks in my  hand so i could sign them.  I also had students who took my yearbook so they could sign it.  I'm really, truly blessed where I work.  It's really strange to me, but I love it, nonetheless!

Then at 6th period, I was surprised by a group of students who are in Ms. Liu's Chinese Class.  Last year, this same teacher also had her Chinese students do something special for me.  So the students walk in and they all have a carnation and a note to give me... so sweet!

My Birthday - The Day Of!
I woke up on my birthday and my roommate offers to make french toast for me!

Then we had to do some work, so Ash, Claire and I go to a couple of apartments of people who are leaving to pick up some stuff that I was buying from them.
Stuff I bought: A coat/shoe rack, A stand up fan, a crock pot (i'm super excited about!), a blender (also super excited about), a food processor, a basting brush and some other little stuff (like seasons and packets)!!!

After that we took a breather then we headed out to Hankou to meet up with two other friends for lunch at Ajisen (a Japanese noodle place).  After, we got pedicures and then Ashley got one of her tattoos fixed.

At 6 we had a joint birthday dinner celebration for another teacher who I share a birthday with.  It was fun, and full of good food!!!

After, Ash took me to get some flowers for my birthday (she recently found a flower shop, and apparently I had gone on and on about wanting to get some flowers for my apartment, so she just decided to buy me some!).  While we did that, Claire went to the store to get supplies to make milkshakes with my new blender!  :)

We went home, watched... hm.. I think we watched When in Rome.  We made milkshakes and had an AWESOME TIME!!!

I had a great birthday!!!

(Thanks to everyone, even people on Facebook, that made my Birthday special!)

Sunday
I woke up on Sunday with what I now know as food poisoning.  Yes, I'm writing this on Tuesday... I'm still feeling the effects...

Yes, it's the pits.  It was worth it though!  Just hoping it goes away soon!

School Stuff in General.
It's finals week.  Not all my finals are written.  I'm a bit stressed.

In General
If you could see my face, nails, and my apartment you would see major evidence of me being stressed.  I'm just trying to push through with everything that I have to do!!!  I can do it!!  Only 3 more school days left!! I'm super excited to see my family soon!!!  :)  I have to say goodbye to friends!  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment