Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Gender Change & Baby Wash-y

I just have a couple funny stories from Tuesday:

Gender Change
My 6th grade Physical Science class is preparing for their upcoming test. On Tuesday we played a vocabulary review game.  Essentially this is how it works: the students are in pairs, sitting across the desk from each other so one can see me and the other has their back to me.  I hold up a card with a vocabulary word on it and those who can see me have to get their partner to guess the word.  


So I hold up the phrase "physical change" (we are learning about chemistry: atoms, molecules, mixtures, compounds...etc)


I don't know what else this particular girl said, but when I tune into this group, I all hear is "Now I'm a girl, but what if I turned into a boy?  What would that be called?"


I couldn't help but chuckle.... 




Baby Wash-y
This is my favorite story of the two.


Some of you know that Ashley and I have Korean lessons on Tuesdays and Thursdays with someone we call Korean Eileen.  She can't be (Regular) Eileen because we already have someone with that name in our community, so we stick her ethnicity in front of her name.  You may be thinking that our name for her is not PC... I'll just say that things are different over here....  Especially when I am pointed at and told that I am a "foreigner" (in Chinese, of course) everyday.


Anyway, for the sake of me typing, we're just going to call her KE.  (side note: KE makes me think "Kinetic Energy".... oh well.)


So on this particular Tuesday, KE worked out her schedule, her kids schedule, and talked with her husband so she had the entire night free.  She came over for lessons, which we ended up just talking.  Afterward we went out to dinner together.  She wanted to take us to one of her favorite Chinese restaurants.   :)


**Side note: during our "class" discussion, we found out that she has her master's degree and her husband has his PhD. in Chinese language.... WOW!!!  Not only is her family incredibly smart, but each one of them is hysterical, and super down to earth!  We really love this family!


Anyway, so we eat really, really good food.  One of the dishes included mushrooms.... it was wonderful!  Then after dinner, we got a milk tea (not the best milk tea I've ever had, but it was good).  Then we saw a Tupperware store.  I was trying to explain what Tupperware was, but I was failing so we decided to stop in since none of us had anything pressing to do.


In the store we found a really cool something, which I cannot share at this time because it is going to be a birthday gift for someone... but it was really cool.  This something is also a gift that I will be giving to my bro and sis-in-law for my future niece or nephew, it is also something that Ash wants to buy before she leaves.  *I give this information to you, to confuse you about what I could possibly buy for a little kid that a 26 year old also wants... haha!


On our way out of the store, we talk about Baby D.  This is when KE asks if they have had a Baby Wash-y (sounded like Wash-ee) yet for Baby D.  We often have miscommunication, so we have her repeat what she said, but she said the same thing.

*Another side note: in the Korean language, most all of their words end in vowels, so it is very common for them to take one of our words and add "EE" to the end of it.

This prompted Ash and I to send confused glances toward one another.  Then she explained, "you know, the party they have before the baby comes".

Me: "OOOOOOOH!!!!!  You mean a Baby Shower"

HAHAHAHA!!!!  This left us laughing for a good minute.

On the rest of the way home we talked about a variety of other things, but we also tried to teach her the words "preggers" and "prego".   Haha.

It probably isn't a good thing that Ashley and I are "English teachers" to a non-native speaker, but it sure is fun!!!

Have a great day, everyone!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, both those stories are really funny! What grade did the physical change one happen in. I'm trying to envision who could have said it, but I guess it could be any of them.

    ReplyDelete