The response we (foreigners) can get from Chinese children is often entertaining. The responses can vary though, usually we get a finger pointed toward us as the kid screams, "Wai guo ren!" (Chinese for foreigner), sometimes we get ignored, or sometimes the child tries to be sneaky...
I have two stories to share:
First Story
This happened on Thursday night as Ash and I were entering the grocery store. For this particular store (called Zhong Bai) you have to ride an escalator ramp to get to the second floor so you can start your shopping. In front of Ashley and I is a mom and her son (maybe 7-9 years old). The second he sees us, he tries to hide himself by moving in front of his mom, but at the angle I was standing, I could still see him. As he was standing in front of his mom, he tells her to look behind her. I warn Ashley about what is going down, as sure enough, the mom tries to do one of those looks but try to make it not too obvious...
Side note - When we are in the store, it never fails that at least one Chinese person will try to look in our cart to see what we're buying. I don't usually feel embarrassed, except for those trips when I'm buying candy for my students...
Second Story
This happened yesterday (Saturday). I was waiting near a pizza hut to meet two of my friends so I could take them to a new restaurant Ash and I have been introduced to. As I was waiting a family walked past, there were 3 adults in the group and 2 kids, I don't remember the kids enough to guess an age, although the kid who talked may be somewhere between 3-5. So anyway, I'm standing there, minding my own business... just trying to keep a look out for my friends, when the little boy (obviously the one who talked) gets the attention of his whole family, points at me and says, "There is one foreigner" (in Chinese of course)! This made me chuckle (usually they don't get out a full sentence). The mom then realized that I understood what her child had said, then we both just looked at each other and laughed.
"FUDGE!"
This story has nothing to do with children... This happened yesterday as well as I was in iTea (my favorite milk tea shop). I was standing at the counter and maybe 2 or 3 yards away was a two-seater table where two college aged guys were sitting; one is facing me and the other has his back toward me. I've already ordered and I'm waiting for my drinks when all of the sudden I hear "FUDGE!" come from the table where the college guys are sitting. Okay all of you perceptive people out there... I didn't really hear 'fudge'... Think of "A Christmas Story" then you will know what I actually heard.
I was really surprised because I didn't hear them speaking English or anything... so I look at them (my face probably showed my expression of surprise and being appalled all at the same time). Then I see the guy who's back is toward me reprimand his friend and makes his friend remember that I'm standing there. So the guy (who is facing me and who apparently is also the one who said it) looks up at me, and his face goes completely red!!! I'm sure my face turned crimson too... haha.
It was definitely an interesting and awkward moment!
Side note for this story - my drink didn't come with a lid, but I wasn't worried about it (I'm not really sure why I wasn't worried; I just wasn't thinking apparently). I put it in the basket of my bike and went to unlock my bike. When I unlocked my bike, my bike shifted which made my drink fall and go all over my bike and the sidewalk (my basket has holes). Of course the two college guys are sitting at the window where they have a front row seat to the show... It was really embarrassing and I just tried to get out of there as soon as possible. I'm planning on waiting at least a week until I visit that shop again!!! :)
*I need to go to fellowship soon, so I didn't reread this post. I apologize for misspellings and grammar mistakes! No judging!!! ;) haha
I hope you all have a great day!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment